Over the holidays, I made a 5-state American road trip. Ten percent of the country isn't bad over 13 days. I had a blast and really enjoyed seeing friends, family and the NU football team. On Saturday evening, I returned to Budapest. I'm glad to be back, but some things have made me chuckle.
Clue I'm back in Hungary #1: I went grocery shopping on Sunday. I have gotten rather handy with Hungarian food terms, and felt confident as I strode into the humongous grocery store located at the bottom of the massive shopping mall one tram stop away from my flat. I picked out my assorted items, including an item in the "tészták" (pasta) aisle labeled "paradicsomos szóz" (tomato sauce), nestled in between something that appeared to be 4-cheese sauce and a bag of pasta. All appeared right with the world. Tonight, I made a pasta salad - veggies and pasta, accompanied by my new-found.... SALSA purchase? Hurrah! It was still tasty, and I have whole-heartedly embraced the return to periodic nonsensicalness.
Clue I'm back in Hungary #2: People in Hungary do not go running outdoors in Budapest, except for on the 5km track around Margaret Island and at a track by the main stadium. Due to jet lag and plans to do another half-marathon this year, I got up for a run this morning before work and figured I'd just head up to Hero's Square and back. Keep in mind that this route is not on the afore-mentioned approved routes list. Now, it was 10 degrees (F) out, but I have a fair amount of UnderArmour and it gets colder in Chicago anyway. I met my 17-year-old next-door neighbor on the way out the door. He positively could not fathom what I was doing. All along the run, heads turned. Passersby stopped in their tracks. Schoolgirls tittered in disbelief. Streetcleaners stopped their streetcleaning. Dogwalkers reined in their animals. A full tram of people turned their heads to follow my course alongside their vehicle. I felt like a celebrity, which perhaps is ample enough reason, beyond the "being fit" part, to continue the 7am runs. If I ever hear, "Have you seen that crazy girl who runs outside at 7am on Andrassy street?" I will know I have succeeded.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
OK, now I feel obliged to become a local celebrity--or at least publicly-witnessed friend of one--in Budapest. I'll bring my gear.
Post a Comment