Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hockey game and 6-day work week

Here is a whirlwind update on the last 1.5 weeks:

Last week, I attended an English-language stand-up comedy show (affectionately termed BUDSuCS) with people from the curry club. A Hungarian comedian who was famous for translating Monty Python into Hungarian opened the event. A lot of his humor translated pretty well into English, except for the following joke: "I am just now learning about computers and google. I was at a friend's house, and asked him to google 'the USA.' Over 60,000 hits came back, so I asked him to print them out to read them." He paused. There was silence. "Oh, I guess that joke doesn't work as well in English." I asked co-workers about it later, and they looked at me like I was crazy. Apparently, it doesn't translate into Hungarian well either. Silly, lying man.

I had my first hockey game on Saturday night. There were a fair number of new traditions for me. At the beginning of each period, we would gather around the goal to do a cheer. My teammates coached me on the cheer each time - most times it was something like "3...2...1... GO LILAC!" Our fans also threw us candy at the end of the game. There's a cool write-up of the game online. (You can see me with the puck in the second picture.) I used an online translator for the parts with my name:

  • "The first played his match Lakatos Boglárka arrived from Ferencváros in the thirteen champion's shirt, and united Államok-beli our legionnaire, Jennifer Tison." I have confirmed that legionnaire is the correct translation.
  • "Our situation utilisation quoted the last year's one unfortunately, or the last pass was inaccurate, or the Dunaújváros goalkeeper outwitted us, you are successful though it a thousand to omit a percentage situation, than for example in Jennifer Tison case, who Csiszer Réka accurate pass into a brought goal situation, American legionary it drew the package beside an empty gate from a metre however... " AKA and then Jenny missed the wide-open net. Oops! Tough but fair!
Today, Thursday, October 23, is a national holiday in Hungary. It's a dramatic story that I will write more about later. As such, the entire country worked this past Saturday in order to get Friday off. The Saturday working day was pretty relaxed, and it was nice to have two jeans days in a row. I'm at the airport getting ready to head to Romania now for the 4-day weekend!

No comments: